Acorn School and Boulder Journey School Partnership
Starting in the fall of 2015, The Acorn School has the unique opportunity to partner with Boulder Journey School, an internationally recognized leader in innovative and high quality, early childhood education. Through this partnership, The Acorn School will open its doors to interns participating in Boulder Journey School’s teacher education masters program in collaboration with the University of Colorado, Denver. This program is a one year, accelerated program in which candidates take graduate level coursework while being emerged in the daily life of the classroom as a co – teacher intern. At the end of the intern year, participants graduate with their Masters degree and Colorado State Teaching License. Interns will be assigned to a single classroom for their one year internship to provide support for children and teachers.
As an off – site intern school, Acorn will host intern teachers who will have gone through several interview processes and exhibit the standards necessary to join the Acorn community. Assigned to our wobbler, toddler, preschool, and prekindergarten classrooms, interns in this masters program are expected to integrate their learning from early childhood coursework, homework and research assignments, and ongoing mentor support from Boulder Journey School off – site intern coordinator and The Acorn School Assistant Program Director and teachers into their daily work with the children. Fresh perspectives, grounded in educational philosophies and influenced by best practices in early childhood education will help foster an increasing level of professionalism to the classroom, elevating the types of learning experiences offered to the children.
- Supporting children and classrooms with interns who study early childhood, in depth, and possess a learner attitude.
- Interns’ research and homework assignments will support children’s learning in developmentally appropriate and authentic ways to add value to our program.
- Acorn teaching staff and interns will work to make children’s learning visible for children, parents, and guests to view.
- Interns’ role is that of a co – teacher; this is a one year commitment which provides more stability in classrooms.
- This partnership is an opportunity for reciprocal learning between Boulder Journey School and The Acorn School.
- To strengthen The Acorn School’s reputation within the community as a leader in early childhood education. Through support of this teacher education program, Acorn promotes the value of early childhood education within the community.
- Continuing to promote the vision of The Wilderness Center to set the example of partnership with other early educators in our community to increase opportunities for quality early education for all children.
- Continuing to create opportunities for shared enrichment, professional development, and parent instruction events with the Boulder Journey School and other providers in the community.